Biogas CDM Project of Bagepalli Coolie Sangha
After ADATS successfully registered and implemented a CDM Project to construct 5,500 domestic biogas units in 2005, we encouraged the Bagepalli Coolie Sangha to undertake yet another CDM Project to construct 18,000 more biogas units in the remaining villages. This CDM Project has been registered with the UNFCCC.
Over the first 7 years, from 2010-11 to 2016-17 a total of 299,988 tonnes of CO2e are expected to be reduced, with an annual average of 42,855 CERs.
- A report of the stakeholder meetings has been prepared. Click here for the Gold Standard Stakeholder Consultation Report
- The Draft GS Passport has been prepared which describes the project and the monitoring methods for sustainable development indicators. Click here for the Gold Standard Passport
- The Project Design Document (PDD) for the registered UNFCCC CDM Project can be downloaded here.
BCS then entered into an Emission Reduction Purchase Agreement (ERPA) with FairClimateFund, the Netherlands, wherein they agreed to retire 2,33,827 CERs that would be generated by 12,000 Biogas units in the first 10 years, in advance, for a lump sum of € 29,75,371. With this money, the Bagepalli Coolie Sangha built 11,633 domestic biogas units for as many poor women from 633 villages of Chickballapur District from 2010 to 2013.
14 paid Case Workers implemented this CDM Project. Local Masons were trained to build these units at a wage of ₹ 1,000 per unit. Labour was contributed free of cost by the End Users' families, with the entire village Coolie Sangha assisting single women and the elderly. Once construction was completed, ADATS Field Staff took responsibility for daily monitoring in their respective Areas. Volunteers selected by End User women in their respective villages oversee usage and report on repair and maintenance issues.
To date, the expenditure on this project is ₹ 19.4 crore on construction, repair, maintenance, monitoring, verification and issuance. The average cost per unit stands at ₹ 16,303.
On 5 August 2016 the crediting period was renewed for the next 7 years till 2023-24.
As on 2 July 2021:
- Cumulative functionality, from start to May 2020 stands at 77%.
- Within the month functionality is at 71%
- The total usage stands at 3,02,34,624 days
- 2,39,737 tCO2-e have been generated.
- Of these, 2,27,953 CERs issued by the UNFCCC as under:
|1st Verification||Jan 10 to Sep 11||9,080||27-04-2012|
|2nd Verification||Oct 11 to Dec 12||21,397||09-09-2013|
|3rd Verification||Jan 13 to Jun 14||42,393||15-05-2015|
|4th Verification||Jul 14 to Dec 16||64,582||04-08-2017|
|5th Verification||Jan 17 to Dec 18||43,939||31-10-2019|